IBM Cognos TM1 is an Analytical web Processing (OLAP) software tool that analyzes data stored during a database. IBM Cognos TM1 may be a client-server environment that stands for “Tables Manager 1”.
A TM1 developer also can build complete planning, budgeting, and forecast models in an analysis application.
Its advice is to research the info consumption to eight dimensions.
It consists of remote TM1 servers such as:
- TM1 Architect,
- Web Client
To learn Complete TM1 Training Go through ITGuru’s Cognos TM1 Training Blog
What is a cube in TM1?
A TM1 cube may be a multidimensional database containing a minimum of two dimensions and one fact.
The data loaded into the cube, making use of a mediator process.
Each cube can expand to look at all the sizes that structure the cube.
There are few types of cubes in TM1
- Control cubes can manage the data structures inside the cube.
- Virtual cubes can’t display the cube but it views the quality of it.
- Lookup cubes used when it starts searching for data structures to access its specified property
TM1 Server Certificate
- Suppose you have got an application that has got to hook up with your Planning Analytics/TM1 Server.
- In that case, you will get to import the SSL Certificate to secure your server into the appliance you are configuring.
- These steps will help you obtain the small print you would like to attach and extract the certificate from the design Analytics/Server.
Resolving the matter
- Determine if your Cognos TM server is using SSL.
Review the tm1s.cfg file, and appearance for the UseSSL parameter.
If UseSSL=T, SSL is enabled. If the SSL parameter is not within the tm1s.cfg file, SSL is going to be enabled by default.
- Determine the HTTPPortNumber the design analytics server is using.
- Review the tm1s.cfg file, and appearance for the HTTPPortNumber parameter
- The amount specified is that the HTTPPortNumber that the server is taking note of.
- If the parameter is not specified, the default port no. is 5001.
- Build your Planning Analytics/TM Server URL supported the values above.
- Your browser, input the address to your Planning Analytics/Cognos Tm Server.
- Right-click on your browser and you can find the inspect element so that it opens developer options.
- Then, click the safety tab to review the certificates. Click on View Certificate.
Note counting on the certificates used, you will see warnings. If you are using the Default TM1 SSL certificates, the errors expect because the certificates were not explicitly issued for YOUR server, but generically.
- When the certificate has opened, click on the small print tab to review the certificate details.
- On the small print tab, click Copy to File.
- Follow the prompts to export the certificate. Export it as Base-64 encoded X.509.
- Give the file a reputation and site, and complete the export wizard.
- Now you have to import the certificate into the configuring tool to attach to your Planning Analytics/Server.
- You will get to review the steps available to the appliance you are configuring to work out the import process that you must follow.
Depending on the SSL Implementation your lining analytics administrator has chosen, you will have quite one certificate you would like to import, like a Root or Intermediate Certificate.
If this is often the case, use equivalent steps above with the addition of the Certification Path tab — to spot and consider the extra certificates.
Basic Rule Functions
- Arithmetic Operators in TM1 Rules
+ (plus sign)
- (minus sign)
/ (forward slash)
If the divisor is zero it gets an undefined value
Division by zero using this operator returns zero.
- Comparison Operators in TM1 Rules
Greater than or equal to
Less than or equal to
Not equal to
- Logical Operators in TM1 Rules
It gets true either when the value is greater than 5 or less than 10
% (percentage sign)
It gets true either when the value is greater than 10 or less than 5
~(Value1 > 5) Equivalent to (Value1 <= 5)
- A configuration file that specifies environment information for the TM1 Server.
- You can edit the Tm1s.cfg file to reflect the environment of the associated server.
- A configuration file that specifies the environment information for the TM1 clients.
- Multi-threaded queries can calculate multiple streams of leads to parallel to enhance query performance.
- Multi-threaded queries allow IBM Cognos TM1 to automatically load balance the appliance of cores by running each query on a separate core.
- This multi-processing can improve efficiency and time intervals for giant queries and rules.
- A set of capabilities that administrators can enable or disable by the user groups.
- You can use capability assignments to manage options like Personal Workspace Writeback Mode, Sandboxes, Data Reservation, and access to Server Explorer.
- A parameter which will improve reloads time of cubes with feeders, especially feeders with many complex calculations.
- By saving feeders then reloading them at server startup without recalculating those feeders.
- A feature that permits users to make and add their own data areas breakaway base data.
- It manages administrator tasks and memory usage.
- Enabling the required configuration parameters and managing related files and folders.
- A server-related feature that you simply can use to configure exclusive write-access to regions of a cube for individual users.
- To apply and manage Data Reservations, and API functions to programmatically obtain, release, and manage reservations.
TM1 Admin Server Operations
The admin server maintains the following information:
- Server name
- IP address
- Port number
When running the Admin Server on Windows and UNIX systems manages the standard administrator tasks. The server might process the track of all TM servers running on a network. An Admin Server runs on a computer referred to as an Admin Host.
If the server starts, it will register itself and runs on a specified admin host. The clients will refer the administrator to see which servers are available on the network.
- This server supplies all information only when the server registers by itself on the admin.
- Before the server starts this admin, the server must be running in the background. If you have a host inside the configuration file, it will plan to hook up with an Admin Server and takes place to host itself.
- The server will fail to return up if it cannot hook up with the Admin Server for any reason.
- If the admin host didn’t alert you with any message, the server will try to attach it to an admin server on the local machine.
- If this server is not working properly on the local machine then, there should be a replacement for the admin server and connects to it.
We learned about the definition of TM1, it’s remote servers that gives access for clients to use this server. Clear explanation about cube in this server, types of the cube.
Also, a detailed explanation of its server certificate by learning through problems, resolving them, examples.
In this article, we can learn basic rule functions that might be helpful in Cognos. At least there is little information on its admin server operations. To learn more, follow Cognos TM1 Online Training.